What is the Seed Library?
The Seed Library is a collection of seeds that you can plant and grow at home. Our seed collection depends on donations and seasonality. You'll see different seeds available at different times, so check in frequently to see what's available.
How do I find out what seeds are available?
Search our library catalog using the word Seeds and then select the Kit format.
How much does it cost?
It’s free to everyone!
How do I check out seeds?
Select the seeds from the seed library display and use your library card to check out the seed packets.
Do I have to return seeds?
There is no obligation to save and return seeds.
The Algona Public Library has been granted a seed permit from the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship. The permit is effective 7/25/22 – 6/30/23.
Seed Libraries in Iowa must follow these regulations:
- The exchanges or distributions are made at a single location and no money is exchanged;
- All seed is intended for planting in Iowa;
- Individuals receive two pounds or less of seed annually;
- The seed has not been treated with pesticide;
- Patented, protected or propriety varieties of seed are used or included in the qualified seed library only with the permission of the patent or certificate holder, developer or owner of the intellectual property associated with the variety;
- The certified seed status is not misused or misrepresented; and
- The seed has not been placed under a stop sale order by the department or any other regulatory agency.
Garden Guides, www.gardenguides.com
- Tons of general gardening information
- A step-by-step guide to harvesting seeds
Iowa State University Horticulture News, www.hortnews.extension.iastate.edu
- Timely topics for every season and current gardening news
- An encyclopedia of Iowa gardening knowledge, videos, and much more
Planting and Harvesting Times for Garden Vegetables, Planting and Harvesting Times for Garden Vegetables (iastate.edu)
- A guide to help Iowa vegetable growers schedule the planting of gardens
- A website about gardening in Iowa by and for Iowa gardeners
- Find specific planting information and seed details
- FAQs and plenty of helpful information on native gardening
Seed Savers, www.seedsavers.org
- Explore topics such as garden planning, seed starting, plant care, and seed saving.
- Crop-by-crop growing guides